Custom Search

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Conceptual Cosplay Part 2


   So for this entry I’m going to talk about how I came up with and made my second Pokemon gijinka cosplay. The first one I created was made to be a hoodie for casual wear as well as taking to cons, but for this next outfit I wanted to really look like a Drifloon and show off it’s characteristics.  The first thing I did was sketch out a picture of a Drifloon; you can just pull up an image of the Pokemon you want to use on your computer. This is so you can reference the image while you come up with ideas for your cosplay.  
   Then you have to decide what kind of an outfit you’re going to make: pants and a shirt or maybe a dress? I choose a dress because Drifloon only really has one part of its body, the balloon head, so it makes sense to only have one piece of clothing. Then I decided that since the dress represented Drifloon head that it should have the face on the body of the dress. I decided I’m make the dress hooded and put some white fluffy stuff on the top to represent the poof on Drifloon’s head. Then for the last touch I’d hang two pieces of lace from the bottom of the dress and attach big hearts to them, like Drifloon ‘s little string legs. So I did some more sketching and came up with something that looked like this:



   After I had the idea for the dress all flushed out I had to figure out what fabrics to use. I decided that a poly-cotton blend would be best; it’s stretchy and lightweight. Finding the right colors and right amounts of fabric took a while but I wanted to make sure it all looked good. Then there wasn’t anything left to do but get down to business, after plenty of cutting and sewing I was done:



   And there you have it. I wore it to SugoiCon 2010 for the first time and it was pretty popular there/ I think Pokemon in general is pretty popular with people who go to anime cons so cosplaying as a recognizable gijinka will get you a lot of attention, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment