Custom Search

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Two-Headed Giant


*I’m trying to get my second post on cosplay up, but I want to add some sketches and my scanner is broken at the moment so it will be up later. For now I’d like to make a quick post about my first experience playing a game of Two-Headed Giant  Magic.

On Friday night I was playing Magic like I usually do but I wasn’t playing the standard format. It was my first time playing the Two-Headed Giant format. For anyone who isn’t familiar with the format here are the basic rules:
Two-Headed Giant Constructed decks must contain the minimum of sixty cards. Two-Headed Giant uses the Unified Deck Construction rules. With the exception of basic land cards, a team's combined decks may not contain more than four of any individual card. (For example, if one player is using four Naturalizes in a Multiplayer Constructed event, no other player on that team may have a Naturalize in his or her deck.) Sideboards are not allowed in Constructed Multiplayer tournaments because only one match is played between teams. Each player has control of their own deck but they share one unified turn. Players may communicate their moves and show each other their hands to discuss strategy. The two players share a total of 30 life points and must take 15 poison counters to lose the game.
So for this tournament I was playing a changed up version of my Red Deck and my partner was playing a Green Deck thick with elves. The plan was for me to wipe the opposing team’s field and then my teammate would swarm them with elves. It was a pretty effective strategy and we only lost one match out of four, so we placed 4th in the tournament. In the match we did lose we were facing a team with Infect creatures. They pulled some combo where they made us discard our whole hands, then wiped our field of creatures, and then hit us for 15 poison counters in two turns. It was pretty intense.
Overall I have to say that playing the Two-Headed Giant format was pretty fun, though fairly confusing. Determining how certain cards and abilities will affect players as individuals and teams as a whole got a bit tricky at times but it just took some careful reading to clear things up. Fortunately Battlecry works for all attacking creatures so my creatures could boost my teammates’ creatures. 
Well, that's all I have to say for now. I've got to be off to work soon. But if you have any questions feel free to post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment